A Date with a Book

Cera's Place - Elizabeth McKenna I chose to read this book as I enjoy historical romances and so when the author contacted me I graciously accepted. This book takes place just after the Civil War in the 1800s in America. I immediately was hooked into the time and place. Cera and her crew were a very diverse group and were all working together to make their lives positive. Jake happens upon Cera’s Place while looking for a friend’s daughter. He is mesmerized by Cera and what she has going on at her place.I did like Cera’s character. She was tough and independent during a time when most women had men to take care of them. She provides a place for other women to gain their strength to move on. When Jake arrives at the saloon, she notices him but is skeptical. Jake is immediately taken by her beauty, and begins to stick around. He finds himself in the right place at the wrong time and tries to convince Cera that he can help. I liked Jake’s character. He was strong, but cautious when it came to dealing with Cera.The romance and trials that happened at Cera’s Place and in the town were my favorite. The pages turned quickly. Once the crew ended up fleeing town to protect themselves, I thought the story lost a little bit of its umph, but overall it was a good story.If you like historical romances, this is a great story in a newer time. The author does not over do the story with too many historical time references. There are the horses and wagons, guns, soldiers, and a good old romance.