A Date with a Book

Afraid To Die (Selena Alvarez/Regan Pescoli) - Lisa Jackson Original review posted at A Date with a Book I was introduced to this series by receiving book one as a gift. See my review here. I thorougly enjoyed that book and have read every book as its been released. When this book was released, I quickly purchased it, but didn't read it right away. In fact, I forgot I had it on my Kindle until I saw Ready to Die on Netgalley which is to be released at the end of the month and will be reviewed later on this blog as well.I love the balance of crime solving, mystery, as well as the romance side stories that are going on in this series. I know many readers don't like romance in their mystery stories, but I like the dimension that it brings to the overall series. This aspect helps link the books in the series together so well. However, these books can also be read as stand alones, as there is briefly an update at the beginning of each book to fill in holes or gaps as they appear in the story.I like how the author has created two very strong female detectives who are so very different from one another. Their relationship albeit not a typical friend-friend relationship was definitely tested and proven in this book. Det Pescoli is still struggling with her kids, and her ex and his wife, and with the fact that so much of her time is taken up with work. She is a hard working detective who obviously has earned her position in the department. Det Alvarez role in the current case takes on a personal note in more ways than one. Readers get to learn a little more about her past and really what makes up the character of Selena.I also like how the author writes from the suspect's point of view and as a reader we are given a little more into what he sees and is thinking. There is not a lot of time spent from his POV, but enough to provide more information as to possibly who the suspect may be. I also think this adds more tension for me as a reader when the victims find themselves in their situation.I highly recommend this book to readers of romantic mystery and those who just like a good mystery. The series is awesome and if you haven't begun reading already, you won't have to wait for each book. Enjoy!!